From a very early age we are taught that keeping our teeth clean and healthy is very important. We use our teeth on a very regular basis, and as they are the main implement in chewing food, they need to be cleaned regularly and properly. Dental care is as important as we are always being told, so what is the best way to keep your teeth clean?
There are the routines that we use daily at home – we’ll go into a little more detail about brushing teeth in a moment – but there are also times when the help of a professional may be a wise move. At Natureza Dental Practice, for example, you can take advantage of the services of a fully trained and expert dental hygienist, who will be able to tell you what you need to do if your teeth require more that the usual daily brushing. Let’s have a closer look at brushing and cleaning teeth, and what you can do to improve your current routine.
We all know how to brush our teeth, right? Well, it’s possible there are better ways than the one you are using right now, and there may be something you’re missing! What happens with teeth is that they are a hiding place for tiny craps of food, which attract bacteria. This is one reason we need to keep them clean. There is a right way to brush, so here are some handy tips:
- Use a good toothbrush, and replace it regularly. Your toothbrush will be used at least once every day, so it is natural that it will lose its effectiveness along the way. Some dentists recommend an electric brush, others the simple traditional version, but it’s up to you. Soft bristles are best as they will not damage the gums.
- Brush along the gum line as that can be a place where debris gathers, and also remember to brush both back and front. Use a circular motion as well as the side to side brushing you are familiar with for maximum effectiveness.
- One thing many people forget to attend to is the tongue; brush your tongue gently so as to remove any debris that may be lurking there, and also remember to rinse your mouth once done.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste, there are many known brands on the market.
- It is also recommended that you floss; this will remove any debris and also plaque – the build-up that occurs on the teeth – that your brush has missed.
Brushing your teeth is certainly something you should be doing daily, and many people recommend you brush after every meal. Hopefully, if you keep up the routine as described you will be able to go through life with clean and healthy teeth. There are reasons other than a lack of cleaning why things can go wrong, so if you do need help with your teeth, gums or mouth, get in touch with a dentist right away.